Friday, June 10, 2011

Come over to the dark side. I promise we don't bite!

Let me give you a little back story about my relationship with running. I hated it. There, done, I said it. I despised the sport of running. Now, that I got that off my chest, let me tell you why...

I've been in sports since fourth grade. Running was used as a disciplinary action whenever my coach didn't approve of the way things were done. In college, we would run for 20+ minutes before practice (I was a cheerleader for CMU) and I never understood why people would enjoy running. To me it was lame, repetitive and it hurt my joints. Give me a fitness class and I'm there.

May 2010: I graduated college and then got my 9-5 in July 2010. I started seeing a difference in my body. My muscle mass was decreasing and I gained a few pounds. I was not at all happy with myself or my current lifestyle. Something needed to change.

March 2011: I like to think of this time as when my life started to change for the better. I had nothing to look forward to, no goal in site so, I started running. Yes, running. I completed my first 5k at the Detroit St. Patrick's Day Corktown Race in a time of 34.15. Which doesn't seem fast to, but let me tell you, it was fast for me.

April 2011: I joined a running club in Rochester. It was called the Couch to 5k program and it trained me the right way to run. My group leaders taught me how to use the Jeff Galloway method which are walk-run intervals. It's effective and most of all it's an injury free way to run. My group leaders were an amazing and really inspired me to be the best I can be and that there are no limits.

May 2011: I finished the coach to 5k program and since I started back in March, I have done three 5k races. Which is spectacular to me because I was such a running hater. I finished the couch to 5k program and at our race, I took second place for my age division at the OPC 5k in Rochester.

June 2011: With that being said, I have the itch. I have the itch to see how far I can push my body. Most importantly, I have the itch to run more races. So, with the gentle push of my group leaders, I signed up for the Brooksie Way Half-Marathon training program. Not only will I be training to run 13.1 miles (OMG!) BUT race day is on my birthday (Oct. 2) and what better way to celebrate my big 2-3?

The purpose of this blog, is to make sure I am held accountable and most of all to share my battle stories. Dramatic? Maybe. Most importantly, I hope I can inspire someone (a running hater) to take the leap and find the joy of running.

Like so many marathon runners have said, "There's not a better feeling than crossing the finish line."

3 comments:

Frank said...

Danielle, I'm so proud of you. This awesome and amazing. This is such an excellent idea. I'm stoked to be along for the ride on this exciting journey. I'm glad you found your "spark." :) Love you.

Paul said...

Danielle, Great! Thanks for sharing. I think you hit on four of the most important things about running:
1. Do it right and you can run injury free
2. Set a target—any race—and it stays interesting
3. The importance of the ‘power of the group’ to enjoy not only the challenges but the laughter, fun and friendships
4. Sharing is so valuable because it helps you and everyone else involved
Sharing is generous and courageous. So, again, Thanks. I am so glad to be one of your running partners.
Paul

About Me said...

@Frank Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

@Paul I love that you're one of my running partners. Makes it so much more fun! =)