Sunday, June 12, 2011

Weekend in the Windy City


I decided I needed a little vacay so, I went to Chicago on Friday to visit my friend, Jason. Since I had a run scheduled for Saturday, I brought my running gear. Now usually, I always bring my workout clothes and never use them. This was the first time I actually used my workout clothes. That's an accomplishment in itself. It's so easy to tell yourself, "no, I'm on vacation. I'm not running this weekend." Believe me, those words did come into my head.

Jason and I had a nice three mile run along the shoreline of Lake Michigan. I was running 4:1 intervals (run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute) with an average 10:30-11 pace. It was a nice change of scenery. Instead of big houses, lake St. Clair and boats there are huge buildings, tons of traffic and a lot of runners. For this reason, I'm glad I'm a "running purist" I would hate to block out the energy of the city. 

Call me naive but, I didn't realize that Chicago was such a big running town. I know they have the Chicago Marathon but, I never realized there were so many people that run! But, if I lived in an area with that kind of scenery, I would run too!

After the run, my right leg cramped up really bad. I don't know if I was dehydrated or what but, it was the worst feeling ever. It felt like shin splints but 1,000x worse. It's fine today so we'll see how it goes on my next run. 

Also, one of my toes on my right foot has been bleeding when I run. Is this common? Has this happened to anyone before? I just find it weird that my sock is all bloody (gross) after a run. 

I had pictures to post of my trip but, my phone was stolen at one of the clubs. Awesome.

Thanks for reading! 

Danielle


No comments: