Thursday, June 16, 2011

Nutrition and Training

Wednesday's scheduled run: 20-30 minutes


I had a pretty long day yesterday and I got home by 8 p.m. I had a slice of pizza and a bread stick and then about 15 minutes later went running. Worst. Idea. Ever. I felt bloated and the pizza just sat on my stomach. I wanted to have a longer run, but was only able to run about 20 minutes. 


I started researching what you should and shouldn't eat before a long run. I got this information from Runners World.


For you early birds: I am NOT a morning person but, I pretend to be by doing hot yoga at 6:15 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The big question is to eat or not to eat? Sometimes, when yoga is super hot and really intense I feel nauseous and light headed. Not good when I have to be at work an hour later.


So, if you can, you should eat before you exercise in the morning. This is what Runners World has to say, "if you can, you should fuel up before your morning run. This performs two functions. First your muscles receive an energy supply to help you power through the run. Secondly, your entire body, especially your brain, receives the fuel and nutrients it needs for optimal functioning. It shouldn't be a surprise that studies support this and that eating before a run boosts endurance compared with fasting for 12 hours. People who eat before exercise rate the exercise as better and as less rigorous compared with those who fast."


If you can't and you're not a true early bird like myself, eating too close to your run may spoil it by causing cramps and nausea.


Here's what RW recommends: Choose high-carbohydrate foods that are low in fat and moderate in protein. Aim for about 400-800 calories, which will fuel your training without making you feel sluggish. Drink about half a pint of water two hours before your run to offset sweat loss.


Some examples: Toast, Fruit, Cereal, Bagel


Late sleepers: This is totally me! (except I don't run in the morning) I convince myself that it's not 7 a.m. This one time in college I actually had a dream that my class was cancelled. It was so real that I didn't go to my class. ha.


RW says, "Most runners fall into this category and don’t have time to eat and digest a full meal before they head out of the door.If you fall into this camp, experiment to see what you can stomach before you train."


Some suggestions: Half of a pint of carbohydrate drink, Energy gel washed down with water, half a bagel


If you don't like these suggestions, you can always have a large meal the night before.


The Lunchtime Crowd: If I has enough time in my day to be a lunchtime runner, I totally would. I don't even think I know anyone who runs in the afternoon. But, if you do, RW has some great tips for ya!


Let's assume you ate breakfast in the morning well, four hours later your breakfast is already digested and your going to be running on an empty stomach. Don't let hunger beat you! Take control of your hunger.


This is what RW has to say, "Rather than increasing the size of your breakfast (which may just leave you feeling sluggish), you should bring a light, pre-run snack to work."


Some suggestions: Eat 1-4 hours before you run, this allows the food to leave your stomach. Eat 100-400 calories.  Breakfast bar with less than 5 grams of fat. Slice of whole wheat toast with fruit spread.


Post Run Lunch: yogurt, fruit (always fruit), leftovers


Evening Excercise: Easiest because it's the most convenient, hardest cause there's lack of motivation. Thank God I have Catherine as my running partner. She definitely holds me accountable on days I've had a long day at the office and I really just don't want to run. 


Apparently, RW says there are two simple principles to follow:


1. Eat healthily during the day to avoid any intestinal upset that might thwart your training plans. Also eat often and enough that you’re adequately fuelled for your session to avoid the ‘I’m too hungry’ excuse.

2. Eat lightly after exercise to recover well without causing digestion to interfere with your sleep. 


Who would have thought? They also go on to say to not skip breakfast (woops), lunch is your focus meal eat lots of high quality protein (fish, tofu, lean beef), mid-afternoon snack, Drink lots of fluids (I love my Camelbak), Eat moderately at dinner. 


I also recommend you read Runner's World and Runner's magazine. They are the #1 source for running information. Thank to Liz Appelgate for writing such a great article. I learned a lot from it and I hope you as my readers have too.


I get to look forward to running with my Brooksie group today in Rochester. We plan to run 4 miles using the Jeff Galloway Training method. Should be a lot nicer on my body.


Happy Running! 


Danielle

No comments: