Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fell off the wagon...literally

No, I didn't really fall off a wagon but, I was supposed to do my homework this weekend. As in, my running homework. Keyword, supposed to. Well, as you may have already guessed that didn't happen. I ran a mile on Saturday but that's about all I did. #fail.
 


A couple weeks ago, I won tickets to BRU Fest. The fest featured Bell's Brewery beer aka Oberon aka my all time fave beer. So, naturally when I attended the fest this past Saturday, I drank mass amounts of beer, well, as much as 10 tokens and a 5 oz mug could get me. Now, was this a smart decision when I know that I'm training for a race? No, probably not, but, it was one heck of a time.


Jackie, Catherine, Angela and myself at BRU Fest 2011 (Photo Credit: The Hungry Dudes)
Which brings me to my topic: How does alcohol affect the training process? Besides the hangover, nausea, dehydration, etc. etc. 
  • Fat loss: Obviously if you're running/exercising you want to pay attention to calories going in and calories going out. If you have more calories going out, you will lose weight and have fat loss. 
    • Try not to drink alcohol if you're on a strict diet/training plan. Alcohol prevents fat burning and has hundreds of extra calories. Not to mention after the bar binge eating at Sonic. But those cals don't count, right?
  • Sleep deprivation: One of the largest studies to date on alcohol’s effects on sleep shows that drinking alcohol before bed may disrupt sleep and increase wakefulness in healthy adults -- affecting women more than men -- regardless of family history of alcoholism. (WebMD)
    • Long runs on the weekend are hard to being with, why make them harder by not having any energy to run them. 
  • Moderation: Don't alter your alcohol intake if it's not affecting your workout. 
    • A few drinks won't kill you but larger amounts of alcohol that help you make poor decisions (like drunk texting) or make you feel miserable in the morning so you don't get the most out of your workouts, now that's a different subject.
If you're going to learn anything from this post, know that moderation is key, when to stop and definitely drink responsibly. 

Cheers! 

Danielle


1 comment:

Angela said...

I tried to tell everyone that Sonic was NOT a good idea!!! drunkies