Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Racing with Music. Faux Pas?

I can't wait for June 2012. Why you might ask? Because I am vacationing to Hawaii! So, naturally I checked up on races in the Hawaii area and the annual Kona Marathon is going to be taking the place the same week I'm there. So, naturally, I'm going to run it. 

While I was investigating the website, getting a feel for the race, I noticed that they have a strict rule about running with music:

"Our top priority is to ensure for a safe race for all participants. For your safety and other runners safety and in accordance with The Road Runners Club of America and USATF Rule 1.44.3(f) we prohibit the use of electronic devices using headphones on the course at all times. You are subject to disqualification if you wear headphones on the course"

This got me thinking...Is running with music a faux pas in the racing world?

Personally, I do not run with music. I used to but, before my first race, a 5k, my friend John told me to not run with music. He told me, "there's nothing like your first race. Why would you want to block it out?" Touche, John, touche. So, I ran my first race, the Corktown St. Patrick's Day 5k, without my iPod and it wasn't bad at all! I loved being outside, enjoying the sights of downtown Detroit, the drunk people on the sidelines cheering us runners on and of course, runners receiving/giving encouragement to runners. The best thing about the race was seeing/hearing all those things and creating a great first race memory.

But, what about other runners? Contributing in today's blog post is New York Marathoner, John F. Martin,Chicago Marathoner, Jackie Kosakowski and Detroit Free Press Marathoner, Patrick Beirne.

 
New York Marathoner, John F. Martin.
Photo Credit: John F. Martin Photography

"Never, ever. I'm a purist. I much prefer (and need) to listen to my body. I also don't like being isolated from the environment - music takes away too much. And during a race, there is no reason for it. All the sounds and sights of a big race shouldn't be missed. At both full marathons I've run, there was live music and/or crowds cheering the entire race. It's insulting to all of them to run with headphones, I think. Then there's the safety factor - if you can't hear a car, a bike or other runners, risk of injury (or worse) increases exponentially."



Chicago Marathoner, Jackie Kosakowski
Photo Credit: Race Day Photographer

"I will race more often than not with music. But, my headphones and iPod were broken most of 2011 so I didn't really train with music this year. In the past, I usually did.  It's hard for me to answer that. I used to prefer it but once my shit broke I got used to not running with it. Now i run to my Netflix. But, I mean yeah I guess I do like running with music. Or i dont know - im indifferent I think. Outside I don't care but inside I guess I do prefer to run with music."



Detroit Free Press Marathoner, Patrick Beirne

"I can't run without my iPod. For me it is my breathing. If I can hear my breathing, than psychologically it just makes me feel tired. The music covers up my breathing and I run so much more effectively. I know that races supposedly don't allow you to use music, but truthfully I think that is just for competitive runners. For recreational runners like myself, I really don't think anyone sees a problem with it. I have heard the argument about being aware of your surroundings and all but that's never really been a concern for me."



So there we have it folks, some say they need music, some are indifferent and some, like me, prefer to not run with music. Although, I do have to agree with Jackie. Running on a treadmill sucks and I do prefer some sort of entertainment. 

What do you prefer? Running with or without music?

Anyone running the Turkey Trot tomorrow? I will be running the 10k! =)

Happy Thanksgiving! 


1 comment:

jessica said...

i usually only have music for training. i used it for my marathon and was extremely grateful! there were areas of the detroit freep where there wasn't much crowd support. i really needed the tunes to help push me through those areas. All in all, i probably only listened to music for about 7 miles of the total 26.2. I only listen to music while training if i'm running by myself (but music will always be turned down low enough that i can hear cars, other poeple, etc)