Thursday, July 7, 2011

Full Day of Fitness

Two-a-days? Pshh...who does that anymore? How about three-a-days. Okay, so it wasn't on purpose. Well, two of the three workouts were the other one was totally spontaneous. 

Yesterday, I started instructing Women & Weights. It's simply a weight lifting class for women. But, some men do join the class. I like to make it fun but also challenging for the participants. I had a couple women complain that the class was going to fast and that they're not as young as I am so I need to slow it down. 

Of course I have to adapt to my class, so we did "12 days of summer" similar to the song "12 days of Christmas". We started out with one lap (walking or running) around the gym then did two push-ups and then did the one lap, two push-ups and the third exercise. We did this all the way to twelve. I believe the class enjoyed it and had a great workout. 

After W&W, I met up with one of the Fraser Varsity cheerleaders. She's interested in becoming a college cheereleader so, I became her "mentor". It's moments like this that make me happy I'm a coach.

Then, I went to Yin yoga. Roxanne (one of my running partners) is an instructor at Practice Yoga in Grosse Pointe. Since I had nothing to do and we were going to run after her yoga class, I thought why not go to her class? It was awesome! Yin yoga is different from other practices of yoga because it's more stretching than it is changing positions continually. As a runner, this class was awesome! I have really tight hip flexor muscles so it was great to finally do something that actually stretched it out. Being an athlete all my muscles are really short, they don't need to be long. I felt so refreshed after this class. I recommend this class to all athletes!

Finally, after Yin, Roxanne and I ran 4 miles in 42.30. My Garmin was messing up throughout the run so that was really irritating. It was gross, hot and humid out. Not ideal running conditions but, I pushed through it. I may have told Roxanne to "suck it" a few times. But, hey, I got through it and I felt good afterwards. 

This morning I did hot yoga and tonight I have running club! It's going to be a great 6 mile run. I'm going to be lovin' the hills tonight...

Happy running! 

Danielle

No comments: